Thursday, March 19, 2015

So what is it I do over here?

I have been at my permanent site now three months.  One of those months I was away from site to attend Peace Corps training in Pokhara.  We learned about mushroom farming, building plastic houses, drip irrigation, grafting, preserving nutrients in food, and all kinds of great things.  Although much of my first three months have been getting to know the community and attending meetings, I have started some small projects.  The following pictures are of things that I have been doing at my site so far...
Building my first smokeless cookstove at my house

A teacher at a boarding school doing a hand washing training after I installed the "tippy tap" hand washing machine

My sister and brother shoveling our compost pit.  Using shovels here is a two man job :)

Checking the bee population at a house nearby.  There is lots of beekeeping in my area.
Installing drip irrigation at a farm near the government school
An agriculture teacher at the school helping with the installation

Making bags of straw and mushroom spawn at my house.  We had a great colony grow and sold the mushrooms at my father's store in town!
Baby weighing at a mother's group meeting


No mother's group is complete without dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment