Friday, July 24, 2015

Language

Language is a funny thing.  A fun thing.  When two people who both speak the same two languages come into contact, it’s sometimes a process to determine which language should be primarily spoken.  

Take Nepali and English for example.

I am a native English speaker and also speak Nepali.  I have many Nepali friends whose first language is Nepali, but have also learned English.  Usually, in my village I prefer to speak in Nepali even if the person I am speaking to can speak English.  This helps ME learn Nepali and be effective in my work here in Nepal, but perhaps starves them of the opportunity to learn English.  I often have people say “I’ll teach you Nepali and you can teach me English”, but unfortunately that doesn’t hasn’t happened too much.  There are some people who have shown repeated interest in learning English and I try to make time to correct their English and speak with them specifically in English.  One of my closest friends at my site speaks English very well but I had to tell her not to speak it so much with me because my Nepali was suffering.  She is amazingly patient with my broken Nepali and if I’m lucky she will correct me every once in a while.

Usually, each party tries to respect each other by attempting to speak the other person’s native language.  For example, in Katmandu most people assume that if you don’t look Nepali that you are a foreigner and if they know any English they will speak to you in English.  It often comes as a surprise to them if foregners speak Nepali as it is not a common foreign language to learn.  As a volunteer, it’s always an ego booster to come to Katmandu and speak Nepali with people on the street because they are always impressed, happy and there are sometimes rewards.

For example, it helps with barganing.  Street vendors in Nepal will usually categorize you into one of three groups.  They charge each group differently:

Street Vendor Pricing Groups                                                   Street Vendor Thoughts
1. Disabled Nepali-                                    You need my help, here's some fruit

2. Native local Nepali/Friend-                   You're cool (Cheapest Price)

3. Nepali but not local-                              You're still cool, but I don't know you (Getting more pricey)

4. Foreigner who speaks Nepali well and is living in Nepal-     Ooooo.  You're different.  Where are you from and why on earth are you living here?  (Decent price, sometimes equal to a Nepali)

5. Foreigner who attempts to speak Nepali-    Awww.  That's so cute.  (Discount for your baby Nepali language skills

6. Foreigner who makes no attempt to converse, or speak Nepali-    You are wearing tourist clothes so that means you have money.  Cough it up.  (Most Expensive)

After the initial check of who speaks which language best, it can sometimes become a competition of who can speak their non native tongue better.  The winner is sometimes the most stubborn and the competition goes on as long as both people are speaking in their non native tongue.  The looser is the first one to give up and start speaking their native language as it is more comfortable and less challenging for them.  Sometimes people even encourage you to back down and stop trying to speak your non native tongue.  I’ve had people say “don’t worry, just speak in English.”  Or, “really, it would be easier for me if you would just speak in English”.  

The break down is like this:
        
Situation
Person A (Native Nepali Speaker)
Person B (Native English Speaker)
Language Spoken
Professional Environment such as Hospital, Hotel, Spa or Restaurant where English speaker is a guest
Ok English
No Nepali


Ok Nepali




-English is spoken as a form of respect to the client.
-If the English speaker initiates Nepali, Nepali is spoken.

Great English
Ok Nepali
If it is a Nepali man and an English woman, usually English is spoken.  This is out of respect, but as a woman it can feel frustrating because it feels like the man automatically assumes you can’t speak their language, or doesn’t care to see you try.  If it is a Nepali woman speaking to an English woman she will sometimes let the woman speak Nepali and speak back, but she will think it is funny.

No English
Ok or Great Nepali
Fun!  The English person gets to practice their Nepali skills and the Nepali person is facinated by their attempt

To some degree I would imagine this would be the same in all foreign countries.  Usually when someone is not from the land they are visiting, they are given the opportunity to speak the local language to the degree that they make an effort.  

In less formal environments where there is not a customer/client relationship such as in a village there is less expectations of what language is supposed to be spoken.  If one person wants to practice their non native tongue, they usually have to make it known to all who they encounter that they are making the effort to speak the second language and people usually repond by with a subtle smile, and look the other direction, or will engage with you and have fun doing so.  Usually those who engage with you are brave individuals, or well known friends who have made the deision to try to shape the tongue of the silly foreigner who chose to live in their village.

As a woman living in Nepal, I can say that it’s sometimes stressful to be in environments like bus parks where there are many people, usually men, who are asking if you need help/want a taxi/need a hotel/etc.  Any sort of transit like this worldwide I’m sure is just as nerve racking.  I have girlfriends here who only speak English in these situations in order to not attract attention.  As soon as men know that you speak their native language, suddenly the “game” is on and they have fun trying to see how much Nepali you can speak.  Usually they are curious as to what your motive was to learn “their” language.  I’m not sure how it is for men volunteers here.  


Overall, I have enjoyed the process of learning Nepali and then learning a new native tongue at my site.  It’s been keeping my mind active constantly.  However, I’ve always been a bit of a “lazy talker” even in the states and will often use the shortest way possible of explaining something.  That carries into my Nepali language and I’ll usually use the shortest sentances possible to get my point across as long as it’s effective.  Facial cues, energetic output, and body language go a long way in commuinication!  I do my best with my words though and have definitely come out of my shell in regards to seeing the value in just sitting down with friends, sharing tea, and talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment